When the immune system, primarily designed to protect the body from disease and infection, attacks healthy cells in the body, it is due to a disease called Autoimmune disease.
Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) is an autoimmune disease in which the immune system mistakenly attacks the joints. This causes inflammation resulting in stiffness, pain and swelling.
It commonly affects joints of the feet, hands, wrists, ankles or elbows. RA usually affects symmetrically. This means if one hand is affected, the other one is, too.
Apart from your doctor’s prescription, certain supplements and herbs help alleviate this disease effectively. While some relieve inflammation and pain, some might cause harm because of their noxious side-effects. Taking that in account, we bring to you a list of supplements and herbs that are best for this disease.
Friendly herbs and supplements-
- Turmeric– A popular spice in India, turmeric has been used for ages for healing purposes. A key component of turmeric, curcumin is anti-inflammatory and, consequently, reduces inflammation in the joints. You can make it a part of your daily diet by adding it to your food as an ingredient or to a glass of milk.
- Fish oil– Present in fish oil in large quantities, Omega-3 fatty acids, DHA (Docosahexaenoic Acid) and EPA (Eicosapentaenoic Acid), are most effective in reducing inflammation. A daily dose of 3gm of fish oil, in the form of capsule or tablet, is necessary to gain benefit against RA. Vegetarians can opt for nuts, flaxseed and chia seeds.
- Garlic – Apart from adding relishing flavor to your meals, garlic has numerous health benefits. It is anti-inflammatory along with being potential to restrain the production of pro-inflammatory Therefore, it facilitates the treatment as well as prevention of Rheumatoid Arthritis. It can be added to almost everything you cook from curries to sandwiches.
- Ginger– An age-old herb used as a remedy against ailments, ginger is highly potent in treating RA. It not only relieves inflammation, but also prevents any further conditions like heart or lung problems – patient with RA are susceptible to other infections or diseases. Ginger can be taken in tea.
- Green Tea – Green Tea contains polyphenols which are effective in protecting joints. The antioxidants present in this element make it anti-inflammatory, hence making it a great herb for RA prevention and treatment. You can savour 2-3 cups of green tea in a day.
- Berries – Berries such as strawberries, raspberries, blueberries and cherries too have anti-inflammatory properties. Their bioactive elements and presence of Vitamin C mitigate the symptoms of Rheumatoid Arthritis. You can have these mouth-watering fruits either raw or can make delicious custards or other recipes with it.
Taking herbal supplements in moderate quantities to mitigate symptoms of Rheumatoid Arthritis are traditionally accurate, but we strongly advise you to consult a doctor as a precautionary measure.